Wednesday, 17 August 2011

It actually doesn't offend us

It's only suitable that the first post on this page is about my favourite band. Many of you guys reading this will of not heard about this band. Actually I will be surprised if a single one of you have. These guys are so far from mainstream that if there was some sort of festival for highlighting everything that isn't mainstream these guys would be headlining. I'm of course talking about Does It Offend You, Yeah?


These guys came to my attention while I was watching the trailer for The Fast and Furious (the 4th one in the series). Maybe the fast car's and explosions gained my attention or maybe it was the electric, rock pounding, gritty tune I could hear, but I suddenly became obsessed with this advert. The fast and furious series is not something I an passionate about. Far from it. It mildly entertains me. For example, it's one of those films that when you have finished watching it, and you are leaving the cinema, you simply don't talk about it. No positive responses and no negative responses. Just a plain 'Meh'


Anyway I just had to find out what this track was so I searched and searched. Finally I came across the track We Are Rockstars - Does It Offend You, Yeah? After a couple of listens, an a feeling of accomplishment I wondered to myself what some of their other track were like. So I downloaded some of their other tracks and I couldn't decide what sort of music they actually did. Half was light indie rock, and half was electro. The more I listened to their stuff the more I decided I didn't like their electro stuff. But I really do like their indie stuff.


Did I make my judgement too soon? Maybe, Because two years had passed and I went to a small gig to watch The Bees (Average at best). But at that I noticed that in a couple of weeks time Does It Offend You, Yeah? were playing in my home town. The ticket only cost £10 too. Not even a quarter of the price of a new game. So I thought I would invite my friends to see them. None of them wanted to come. The only person who came was my girlfriend (and that was only because I forced her to listen to some of their stuff).


So we get to the gig and to no surprise I see that the crowd is not really that big. Not many people know about these guys. I thought there may have been a few more, especially because of the price.


When they finally came out I wasn't greeted be the indie music I had came to love from them. Instead it was a voice over from former ECW owner Paul Heyman saying...
Tonight we have a chance to say,
'Yeah, you're right'
We're too extreme,
We're too wild,
We're too out of control.
We're too full of our own shit,
But we have a chance to say,
'Hey, fuck you, you're wrong',
And 'Fuck you, we're right'.
Because you have all made it to the dance,
And, believe me, this is the dance.


Followed by what is in my opinion their greatest track. This is part of their track because they want to state that they are not mainstream. They may not be to peoples liking. But they don't care because they are here to make kick ass music! Much like the morals of ECW in their time (until they were bought out by WWF. But that is for another time).



Many times in their gig they make reference's to Bill Hicks. Bill Hick was a comedian who in character was much like these guys. People may not of like his stuff. He may not of been considered mainstream, but dam he was good (I personally do not like Bill Hicks). They also make reference to Lady Ga Ga and Britney Spears which come with a major 'Fuck you' to the mainstream music industry. These guys don't care who are at the top of the charts. They know that in a couple of years time those song will have be forgotten about and would have been replaced by more of the same pop culture. Think about it guys. When was the last time a 'Great' song was number one in the charts. I mean Great! Think 'The Chain - Fleetwood Mac' or 'Hotel California - The Eagles' . You don't hear any more great songs. That's because they have been replaced by a fast moving pop culture.


After the full gig I realised that none of my favourite songs were played. No indie stuff what so ever. It was full electro rock. But after this gig I realised that I didn't like any of that indie stuff any more. I like the stuff I didn't give time to. Now it's easy for me to say to you guys 'Give it a listen' because if you do, you will not appreciate it as much as you would live. I have been to many gigs in my time, but this was the greatest gig I have ever been to. Many bands sound like their albums when they do a show. But not these. This is full of energy from start to finish. I don't have many words to describe that night. All I can say is that if you ever see these guys doing a tour near you. SEE IT!


10/10


5 of their best...
The Wrestler - Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Doomed Now - Does It Offend You, Yeah?
We are Rockstars - Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Battle Royal - Does It Offend You, Yeah?
The Monkeys Are Coming - Does It Offend You, Yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment